Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Laugher

Periwinkle Chronicles, tales of the citizens of Periwinkle [because all the other colors were already taken] County:


Gaylord Coventry drooped into the “Good to the Last Slop Coffee Shop and Pig Pedicure Proscenium” and slowly oozed his way over to the booth where The Rev. Dr. Randall Nathan, (Retard), which is how they pronounce “retired” in Periwinkle County, was sitting with a stack of newspapers and six pairs of Fiskars on the table, so that people would think that the coupon-clipping ladies of Second Pentecostal Progressive Fundamentalist Church would soon be there and so would not sit with him, since he is still trying to earn points in “The Hermudgeon of the Year” contest, hermudgeon being a combination of hermit and curmudgeon, with the prize being an Oscar the Grouch statue from “The Academy of Arson Sciences,” and he loses points if he is seen consorting with real people, but coupon-clippers don’t count, for obvious reasons. Gaylord picked up two pairs of Fiskars and started grooming his nose hair.

“You haven’t heard me for a while,” said Gaylord.

“It’s been nice,” said Randall.

“I’ve been on the road.”

“Lego competitions didn’t work out so you went back to acting?”

“Not exactly acting. I’m a professional laugher now. An agent heard me laughing that time at church when you filled in for Pastor Patty and hired me to sit in the front row of comedy clubs and shows. I laugh so hard everybody else laughs, too.”

“Well, I’m glad that coming to church that time helped you find a career,” said The Rev. Dr. Nathan. “I had begun to worry that I was losing the humorous touch in the pulpit, but your laughter restored my faith.”

“Yeah,” said Gaylord. “Tell your wife she still owes me money.”

@+

[“Christ in Winter,” Reflections On Faith For People In The Winter Of Their Years, can be found at http://christinwinter.blogspot.com/]

{If you would like to receive PC or CIW by email, let me know at jmcfarland1721@charter.net, and I’ll put you on the list.}

No comments:

Post a Comment