Saturday, July 31, 2010

Gray Like Me

Claire Nathan returned from the “Gray Like Me” beauty shop for “ladies of a certain age.” All the hairdressers at GLM have gray hair. Unlike other hair emporia, they guarantee that if you come in without red hair, you’ll leave without red hair. The mantra among women is: “Never go to a redheaded hairdresser unless you want red hair.” That’s why certain ladies go to GLM.

“You know,” she said to Randall, “hairdressers have a peculiar sort of conversation. It sounds like they’re very nosy, very intrusive, but it’s actually quite trivial, so that it’s not intrusive.”

“I don’t understand,” said her professional talker husband.

“Well, I went in, and Graycie said, So what you been doing this summer? It allows me to answer anything I want. Then we talked recipes. When I was through, she said, So where you going to go now? It’s none of her business, but that’s not the point. I can say whatever I want. It just keeps the conversation going without getting into anything that will hurt someone, like gossip.”

Maybe, thought Randall, we could have hairdressers give lessons on how to continue to talk trivia but not be intrusive and hurtful to politicians and pundits and the ranters and ravers who fill up the air and airwaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment